1 Awesome Gmail Tip You Don’t Know About. Seriously.
Just about when I thought I got everything out of Gmail, I discovered my top favorite Gmail address tip. We have published over 30 tools in Gmail RoundUp 1 and almost 80 tools and tips in Gmail RoundUp 2 , but never mentioned anything similar to this one. Tribute for this one goes to my ‘I am not into computers‘ type girlfriend.
Let’s say that your email address is ‘GeorgeBush@gmail.com’, basically everything sent to any of the following email addresses will be forwarded to your primary email.
And that’s not all, you can place as many dots as you want, it can be even something like ‘G.e.o.r.g.e.B.firstname.lastname@example.org’ and you’ll still get it on ‘GeorgeBush@gmail.com’
A Gmail Address Tip You Can Put to Use
Additionally, I just also found out that you can embed random text to your email ID using ‘+’ sign. That is to say ‘GeorgeBushemail@example.com’ can be used as your email address, as well.
Ok I got it. Now what?
1. One email for every purpose
Instead of using different Gmail email addresses for various purposes (work, school, friends, etc.) you can use different variations of your Gmail and filter incoming mails by ‘sent to’ address. For instance, all incoming mail sent to ‘Name.Surname@gmail.com’ can be put to folder ‘work’, messages sent to ‘NameSurname@gmail.com’ can be put to ‘friends’, ‘N.ameSurname@gmail.com’ can be used for newsletters, and so on.
2. Track/Block spammers
When signing up for some website, say thatwebsite.com, you can add thatwebsite to your Gmail user ID (eg. GeorgeBushfirstname.lastname@example.org). This way you can block your subscription whenever you want and even identify those websites that distribute your email address to spammers.
Hello folks, here is another EXCELLENT find for Gmailers. Download Gmail Cheat Sheet to learn and master keyboard shortcuts. You might be surprised how much faster you can get with them. Plus most are pretty intuitive so you won’t need to memorize them. You can download printable one page long Gmail shortcut sheet from HERE:
MakeUseOf Cheat Sheets
- codeigniter email error : A PHP error Undefined property: Email::$load AND unable to connect to ssl://smtp.googlemail.com:465 (saurabhrnd.wordpress.com)
- Gmail to Outlook.com email switch made easy with new transition service (allaboutwindowsphone.com)
- Outlook.com eases your transition from Gmail (betanews.com)
- Outlook.com makes switching from Gmail easy (news.en.softonic.com)
- Outlook.com aims to ease the switch from Gmail (pcworld.com)
- Gmail’s Top Nine Hidden Features (businessinsider.com)
- Gmail’s top nine hidden features (telegraph.co.uk)
- New Import Option In Outlook.com Makes It Even Easier For Consumers To Switch From Gmail (wmpoweruser.com)
- Handy Gmail tips (pprune.org)