Everything is guided by certain set of standards, rules and regulations. If the task is not driven by some guidelines, then it could face difficulties for its successful completion. The same is applicable to the Web Designing. Website designing can be unexpectedly difficult as in the present time, we need a website which should not only have appealing and attractive look but also amazing usability, should deliver right information and establish the company as a brand in the market. To its guidance and successful achievement of the objectives of website designing, below we have listed 10 principles for effective web designing:
1) Don’t test users patience: When you are going to offer products/services/tool to your customers, always try to involve users in some kind of interaction but with minimum users requirements. Let them explore out the maximum of the information or try/test out your service/product with as less possible number of actions. Do not ask for registration every time, ya but if it is required then keep it very short, simple and less time consuming. Keeping a long and time consuming registration is a big barrier to cut down your number of registrations and traffic.
2) Manage Navigation: One of the most poor and frustrating experience users can have is being unable to make out where you are or where you want to go. First of all there should be effective call to action buttons placed in the area of visibility of the customers. Buttons to travel around the site should be easily available to find and should be well described. In the small site, a big heading may help to orient your users. But in the big site, you can make use of bread crumb trails.
3) Don’t make users think too much: Every website is made with some objectives and intentions. The website should be such that it should be self explanatory and should resolve all the queries of the readers coming there. Keep the design and layout simple so that it would be easy for the users to comprehend the whole system.
4) Typography: Since the text is the most common element present in the website. There should be importance given to the selection of font sizes, choices. Spacing between lines and away from other objects is important to consider. Line length should not be too long so that it becomes hard to read. There should be paragraphing where ever required. Always remember make selection of the color and font of text in a way that it should be well read by the readers.
5) Keep the feature of simplicity in your design: Keep it simple should be the main theme of the site design. Users are not present on a site to enjoy the design; furthermore, in most cases they are looking for the information. Do not be afraid of the white space or empty space also. It is not always that if you have a lot of design elements in your website, then only your website would become effective and attractive. In other cases, simple design let your users to focus on the main objective of the website.
6) Usability: Web designing is not just about making a beautiful site. Put yourself in the shoes of your users. Think what your users will do after coming to your site. How easy you can make for them to perform the required task. If possibility, perform the usability testing for your website. In our previous post, we have discussed the importance of Usability testing and how it can be carried out.
7) Consistency and Clarity: Heading sizes, font choices, coloring, button styles, spacing, design elements, illustration styles, photo choices , we mean almost everything should match with each other. The consistency in the design is a sign of being professional where as inconsistencies like spelling mistakes lower the perception of the users. Maintain clarity in what you write and even the images or the videos should be of high quality
8) Effective Communication: The users will enjoy only if there will also participate in some kind of interaction. Let them be a part of demo tour or any other video clipping. The two way interaction is actually very helpful to maintain the interest of the readers and users. Always leave an option to comment, trackback, pingback after the blog or even in the contact page of website.
Just making an attractive website is not enough for your business, If you want to boost up your business with your website presence, you have to keep the above things in your mind. So be ready to give amazing website experience to your users with these helpful and useful principles.
- All About Usability Testing of Drupal Website (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- 8 Low Cost and Free Tools That Acknowledge Site Abandonment by Their Visitors (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- Top 7 Essentials of a Successful Website Design (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- Reading Review – Usability Testing (jessicatheuerl.wordpress.com)
- Class and Reading Reflections-week 13 (yangchencgt512.wordpress.com)
- 13 Website Design Mistakes that Designers Should Avoid (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- Importance of Negative Spacing in Web Design (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- Search Skills – Web Design and Usability Testing (nbaker37.wordpress.com)
- Universal Usability (ziglar5.wordpress.com)
- Web Design and Usability Testing at the Library (bookloverclass.wordpress.com)