How much time a website takes to load is a very important factor which determines the success of a website to a large extent. If a website takes too much time to load, it is bound to lose a majority of visitors and potential customers. When it comes to search engine parameters, website speed is a crucial factor which determines the search engine ranking. It is important to take everything into consideration when optimizing your website’s speed and availing the services of a qualified web development company is always beneficial. Discussed below are 10 sure shot tips to optimize your website’s speed.
1. Load content only when required
With the help of Ajax you can build web pages that can be asynchronously updated at any time. This means that instead of reloading an entire page when a user performs an action, you can simply update parts of that page. Let us talk about the image gallery. Since the image files are big and heavy they slow down the loading speed of web pages. It is better to display the thumbnails of the images and when user clicks on them, you can asynchronously request the full-size images from the server and update the page. This way visitor would not have to wait for long.
2. External JS and CSS files
3. Caching system
If your website connects to your database to create the same content, it is time that you start using the caching system. If you use the caching system, your website will have to create the content only once every time the visitors visit it. It also periodically refreshes their caches depending on how you set it up.
4. do not re-size images in HTML
You should always re-size the images using an image editor like Photoshop and then save it as a new file. Resizing images in HTML makes them load slowly.
5. Do not use images to display text
The text in an image not only becomes inaccessible to the readers but also increases the load times of your web pages as more images means a heavier web page. If you want to use a lot of custom fonts in your site, you should learn about CSS to display text with custom fonts more efficiently.
6. Use correct file format to optimize image size
If you choose the right image format, you can optimize the file size without compromising with the quality. Unless you need the image transparency (alpha layers) that the PNG format has to offer, the JPG format often displays photographic images at smaller file sizes. There are many tools which further reduce the file weights of your images.
7. Write code in an optimized way
Check your source code and figure out whether you really need all the tags you are using. Try to use CSS to display the text. Writing code efficiently not only reduces file sizes of your HTML and CSS documents, but also makes them easier to maintain.
9. Use a content delivery networking
A website’s speed is greatly affected by user’s location. If you have content cached across multiple, strategically placed geographical locations, it will take care of this problem.
10. Optimize web caching
Your website should utilize web caching as much as possible. Web caching is when files are cached by the web browser for later use.
Always hire a good web development company to ensure that you get all these advantages. They guarantee quality custom web design and business web design which enhance the performance and speed of your website.
- Role of CSS in a Web Design (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- W3 Total Cache: WordPress Plugin to Enrich Site Performance (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- Optimizing Page Speed – Actionable Tips For SEOs and Web Developers (moz.com)
- 7 Simple Steps to Make healthcare.gov Website Faster (codeproject.com)
- Diagnosing Obamacare Website Performance Issues with APM Tools (apmblog.compuware.com)
- How to Find Out the Success Rate of PSD to HTML Conversion? (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- 11 Low-Hanging Fruits for Increasing Website Speed (and Conversions) (business2community.com)
- Safari 5.0.4 update addresses plug-in compatibility, more (reviews.cnet.com)
- Presentation on Instant page speed optimization (slideshare.net)
- Magento’s Scalability and Performance: An Analysis (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)