The system of grids in case of custom web design is used in order to organize the available content on web page by using a combination including guides, columns, rows and margins. This kind of arrangement can be easily witnessed in any newspaper or a magazine which follow the laying of the text as well as images in columns. A grid or even the collection of several grids can be easily used on the plane of the entire project in order to achieve a look which is consistent and uniform throughout the project. Though it is true that on the final print the grid might not be visible but a systematic following of the grid pattern ensures successful web layout as well as print.
Grids and Their Types
The layouts which can be created out of the grids are limitless. The most common types of the grid patterns usually include a grid of equal size divided in two, three or four columns and which also has a header on the top along with a page that is composed of squares forming the grid.
Using these various patterns of the grid one can make them the building blocks leading the various borders, column widths, and page sized in order to hit upon a custom web design which is unique. While developing a website one must use the grid system in order to position elements on the custom web design of the web page.
There are several developers who talk in terms of the business web design in the layout pattern which is in columns of 3 or 2. Yet the important thing to remember while creating a custom web design is that the columns in the layout will not be the determining factor for a good design. It is important to visualize the business web design in the grid comprising columns as well as rows in order to give the content a better appearance. This however must not confine the creativity and lead to a rigidity in the design which can be detected easily. It is advised that the developer must look closely at the grids and devise a way to maximize their use in the layout for his benefit.
Designs That Use Grids
Not just in business web designs but also in interior decorating the designers use the grid pattern. Even the planners of cities tend to design any metropolitan area using the grids. Print designers who design the print layouts also use the grids. Using grids in the print layout will ensure that the design is right and adaptable such that majority of the population is comfortable with it.
Grid Designs Need Not Be Boring
Most of the designers who have begun their careers in this art of business web design feel that the usage of the grid pattern may make their website boring. It is true that this is a possibility especially when the designer uses grids in manner of a mandate in order to fill every square using something or the other in the grid. Remember grid is not a method used to completely fill all the space rather it is used in order to organize the available space.
The usage of the grid pattern can be made in the layout of the website with a two-fold mission as stated below:
• The grid should be created in a manner that it espouses maximum number of sub-divisions and do not deviate from the decided pattern. Do not try to add any random lines once the grid has been created. Uniformity of the grid is a feature which must be the aim.
• It is important to place the elements constructed along the grid lines while ensuring that these elements fit into the width as well as the height of the grid lines. Best designs are those which are balanced, a symmetrical output is not the real intent behind the grid pattern.
- Exploring Web Grids (rnguyen13.wordpress.com)
- Responsive Web Design: A New Dimension in Web Design and Development Arena (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- Should Web Designers Have Coding Skills? (sitepoint.com)
- “Thinking With Type” – Grid Reflection (ryandoneganportfolio.wordpress.com)
- Using a 960 grid to frame content… (webdesigncorcoran.wordpress.com)
- http://www.vanseodesign.com/web-design/grid-types/ (daniellerakowitz.wordpress.com)
- Criteria to a Web Design Layout (fitserz.wordpress.com)
- Adaptivity Pro Announces New Responsive Website Design Service (prweb.com)
- 10+ Responsive Web Design Tools to Speed Up The Workflow (shameemullahs.wordpress.com)
- Exploring Web Grid Systems (atroglia.wordpress.com)